Instagram

Monday 12 September 2016

Kicks for Kids Tournament Battle Report!

   Well, this will be my first ever battle report, for my first ever tournament in Guild Ball. It was a friendly tournament to help the Sick Kids Foundation, held at Meeplemart. Be sure to visit there to get some product, and play some games against some friendly people!

The battle report wont have every single detail, but I'll write as much as I can remember. It was too frantic to takes notes, as we were on Team Tactic's timing (45 minute death clocks, with 1-minute activation's after, giving up 1 VP when you end those turns).

My 8-man roster was:
-Fillet
-Princess
-Boiler
-Brisket
-Shank
-Rage
-Avarisse & Greede
-Tenderiser

I was seriously considering Ox going into this tournament, because I am much more familiar with him, but I really wanted to use my newly converted Fillet for the first time. That article showing how I made it can be found here. A+G was just there to meta against other A+G's. The rest of the team are pretty standard-fare for Butcher's teams.

Round 1- Jacob and the Alchemists. <Smoke, Flask, Vitriol, Hemlocke, Decimate, Compound.>
Jacob and I had a gentleman's agreement to not use Avarisse and Greede.

   The match started off with Vitriol going way up, and scoring a turn 1 goal. Unfortunately, she also ended up in a big forest that was on my side of the table buffing her, and making it harder for me to get at her. She was effectively locking down Brisket from efficiently getting the ball, and Shank was distracted by her too. At least Fillet now had the ball, so I could threaten the goal, and goad my opponent into coming closer to Fillet to try to get the ball. Smoke came up and used a combination of abilities to essentially put Poison on my whole team. My whole team through a variety of conditions, and attacks was down 3-5 damage. Very strong start for the Alchemists, I'd say. Alchemists 4, Butchers 0.

   The next round was a good one for me. In the previous round, Rage and Boiler had been able to put up some bleeds and reasonable damage on Decimate, and Smoke, and this turn, a very aggressive Hemlocke had tried to do some damage on one of my players. My fully-loaded Fillet charges into Decimate who has not yet activated (and has 4 INF) and does enough to get her down to 3 life before I legendary played to finish her off (and deal 3 damage to Smoke and Hemlocke). Fillet then finishes off a very wounded Hemlocke, and dodges into Smoke to finish her off. Alchemists 4, Butchers 6.

   The next round, I use my activation's to soak up the Gluttonous mass on Compound, apply bleed on him, and deal some small damage to Flask with Boiler and Shank. Smoke ends up retaliating by attacking Boiler, but he survived, and now three enemies are relatively close together, and all wounded. I weigh the options. I knew I needed to take-out one of them, and I could try scoring a goal to finish the game. I'd let the dice determine what I would do. Fillet goes in, and finishes off Smoke in only 2 hits. So, I thought if I still had 4 Influence, I may be better off trying to get the last 4 VP's by killing the remaining 2 models instead of hoping for 3 dice to get a 4+, and "wasting" 3 Influence. In the end, I decided to go for the take-outs. We kill off Compound who was at about 5 life or so, and we kill Flask. He explodes, and kills my Boiler.

But there we had it, Butcher's victory, 6 take-outs.
Since I wasn't hindered getting to the Alchemists, I was generating a ton of momentum. I was using a lot of  it to heal and remove various poison's off my players. I may have healed over 20 damage that game using Momentum.


Round 2 - Victoria and the Butcher's. <Fillet, Princess, Boiler, Brisket, Shank, Rage>
An exact mirror match, including our exact roster selection! Victoria was a newer player, so I tried to explain a few things as we played.

Both of us played quite conservatively at the beginning. We each moved our models up to the pitch cautiously, with my Brisket holding the ball. My intention was to have her and Shank move up the field to get some goals, while Fillet and friends took care of everyone else. I think Victoria was intending the same thing, and were on the same side as my pair. See? A true mirror match!

The next round, anyone is in range of anyone. Everyone on both our teams were probably in a big 8" circle on the field. One of us

was going to lose a model for sure this turn, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't my Fillet, so I start by putting Swift Stance on Fillet with Boiler and then applying a random Bleed to someone. Victoria responds with Rage going into my Shank, and doing some significant damage. Maybe in the lines of 10-12. I pretty much knew Shank was dead, and I decided I would let him die (even with 3 INF), and activated Rage to Tool Up Fillet and then Free charge her Fillet. I do around 4 damage on Fillet and more importantly, apply Bleed to her. Victoria, as expected, activates her Fillet to finish off Shank and deal some damage to my Fillet. But the 6+ defense keeps me from taking too much. I do a counter-attack at some point to do more damage to Fillet. So, I look at the table, and see that her big damage dealers have gone, and decide that Fillet can wait to activate. I activate Princess to get into melee with two of her models for gang-up potential with Fillet. She activates her Shank and does some damage to some people, but I am getting excited to activate Fillet.

Fillet's activation turn! She does damage to Victoria's Fillet, bringing her down to 2. I use my Legendary Play to finish her off, and deal damage to her Rage. Fillet then advances and kills both Rage and Shank. 3-kill activation again! The rest of the game boils down to my healing a lot, and then finishing off her wounded models that came back onto the pitch, while our Brisket's danced around each other to try and get the ball from each other. In the end, it's 12-2, 6 take-outs again.

 Round 3 - Sam and the Brewer's. <Esters, Scum, Hooper, Stave, Mash, Friday>
Once again, a gentleman's agreement to not use Avarisse and Greede. I have to be the kicker, so I choose the side that happened to have two obstructions in front of, and on either side of the goal. I felt this would be a good position to funnel my opponent in, and make it harder to get a clear goal. I decide to replace Brisket for Tenderiser.

I nominate Shank who is way off in the flank to be my kicker. Sam responds by putting most of his team on the left side of the table, but keeps Friday on the right to have his striker's out on either flank. Shank goes up and kicks the ball way on the other side. The scatter favoured me, and Friday was the only model able to actually retrieve the ball.

Hooper then goes up and far charges my Rage, leaving him knocked down, and on only 4 health. I respond with Boiler going in on Hooper, applying a Bleed and some damage, and healing Rage. Other stuff happens, but then Fillet comes in and wrecks Hooper, so I can have an early VP advantage. I see Sam measure out this HUGE range from Mash to my goal. He wanted to do some long-range goal scoring, probably involving teamwork plays, but my Tenderiser seemed to be deterring him from going through with it.

Throughout the game, Sam's dice conked out on him and he failed a few passes which would force him to use extra influence which messed up his activation's. Esters eventually came up to charge Rage (and Boiler) again, but he also flubbed some attack rolls, 2 of which netted 0 hits after armour. That left Esters open to be killed by Fillet and friends.
While all this was going on, Shank was on the top left of the field constantly harassing and stealing the ball and threatening the goal, causing my opponent to have to commit 2-3 players to try and beat him down and take the ball. However, counter-attack-dodges kept pesky Shank alive to harass some more!

Eventually, Shank tried to score a goal from the flank after stealing the ball, but it missed and ended up somewhere behind the goal. The current score was then 8 to 4, and it looks like we weren't going to score any more goals. My opponent tried to heal up a ton of damage to prevent easy take-out's. Both of us ran out of main clock time, and we alternated activation's, giving up a point each time. A new round began, I got to go first, and at 10 to 6, Fillet went in and finished off a wounded Hooper to finish the game.

The event concluded, and I was 3-0! I won a sweet Butcher's patch for best in-faction, and the rest of the prizes were distributed via raffle tickets. I got an extra ticket for being the 3-0, and got to win the only Butcher's model I don't own: Truffles! And a Hunter's patch for my wife! All in all, it was a great event, I met some new friends, and I got to experience games against teams and captains I've never played against. Fun times!

I know this wasn't really as in-depth, or detailed as some would like, but it's what I can remember off the top of my head without notes.

Hope you enjoyed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment